Last updated by The POOG on September 11, 2020.
The World Economic Forum (WEF) was founded in 1971 by Klaus Schwab who remains the Executive Chairman. It is founded on the stakeholder concept that brings together public and private interests to effect change. These interests include major global corporations, governments, academics and academic institutions, major media corporations, and civil societies such as NGOs and unions.
The Forum’s Managing Board of 12 individuals is the main operational body. There is also a larger Board of Trustees that may serve more of a cosmetic function.
The WEF’s stated vision is to “leverage our trusted status as the global platform for shaping the future of economic, social and industry systems“ (emphasis here and in other quotes is ours). In other words, its goal is to reshape the world. It maintain a “strategic partnership framework agreement with the United Nations“.
It maintains a wide array of digital working and communication platforms but is probably best known for its annual meeting in Davos Switzerland:
We bring together our stakeholder communities for our Annual Meeting in Switzerland. The meeting takes place in January each year and has become the world’s foremost summit for shaping global, regional and industry agendas.
Also, it hosts meetings and summits around the world to achieve its ‘Sustainable Development Goals‘. The next key summit is the Sustainable Development Impact Summit, 21—24 September 2020. Its objectives are summarized as:
Putting the world back on a path of sustainable, equitable, and inclusive growth will require more than a global recovery; it will require a Great Reset of social and economic systems.
It has 3 key areas of focus:
- mastering the Fourth Industrial Revolution;
- solving the problems of the Global Commons; and
- addressing global security issues.
So we see that it is in the forefront of the modern movement to implement the ideas of sustainable development, and equity (diversity) and inclusiveness in the work place and other institutional settings. As well, it has major environmental concerns in the context of anthropogenic global warming (AGW).
The Corporate Angle
Business is a key partner in all WEF activities. This stems from the business background of the founder and his stakeholder principle. It is not surprising then that the Forum published a manifesto in 1973 covering the ethical operation of businesses and corporations. This manifesto was updated in 2020.
The 1973 manifesto had a strong corporate enterprise focus while maintaining a humane and considerate approach to its stakeholders (including employees) and the world. The 2020 version is considerably more focused on modern environmental and social themes such as environment, diversity, human rights and “fairness” in all its dealings.
Operative Platforms and Projects
The WEF views the world as having global interconnected problems and challenges. To solve these, it has organized a number of ‘platforms’ to integrate and aggregate the world’s efforts to address these problems.
Each platform is a global organization of individuals and associated organizations and interests that are working towards a global solution of a concerning issue.
As well as platforms, it has ‘projects’ organized in a similar manner as the platform but perhaps of a lesser stature or significance, creating the distinction.
The platforms are:
- COVID Action Platform
- Shaping the Future of Advanced Manufacturing and Production
- Shaping the Future of Cities, Infrastructure and Urban Services
- Shaping the Future of Consumption
- Shaping the Future of Cybersecurity and Digital Trust
- Shaping the Future of Digital Economy and New Value Creation
- Shaping the Future of Energy and Materials
- Shaping the Future of Financial and Monetary Systems
- Shaping the Future of Global Public Goods
- Shaping the Future of Health and Healthcare
- Shaping the Future of Investing
- Shaping the Future of Media, Entertainment and Culture
- Shaping the Future of Mobility
- Shaping the Future of Technology Governance: Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Shaping the Future of Technology Governance: Blockchain and Digital Assets
- Shaping the Future of Technology Governance: Data Policy
- Shaping the Future of Technology Governance: IoT, Robotics and Smart Cities
- Shaping the Future of Trade and Global Economic Interdependence
- Shaping the Future of the New Economy and Society
Further, they list 28 additional ‘projects’, each with an organization to address a specific issue.
This is an immense organizational structure both in the number of participants, societal coverage, and the extent of influence. It would be a project in itself to examine every platform and project and extract the anticipated impacts on our global social and economic order.
The WEC monitors a large number of “issues and forces driving transformational change across economies, industries, and global issues“.
The Great Reset Initiative
The Great Reset (TGR) is the globally organized strategy to rebuild our economic, social, and political systems destroyed or destabilized by the COVID-19 pandemic response. The goal is a new centrally-planned global economy built around progressive ideology.
The WEC is the creator of this initiative. It identifies its involvement as:
There is an urgent need for global stakeholders to cooperate in simultaneously managing the direct consequences of the COVID-19 crisis. To improve the state of the world, the World Economic Forum is starting The Great Reset initiative.
The Structural Basis of the New World Order
The motivation for creating the New World Order comes up again and again in their literature. It is the chaos and economic, social and personal damage caused by the pandemic. This is being used to justify TGR. What they gloss over is the fact that most of this damage was not caused by the virus itself but by the extreme social control measures implemented in its wake.
The principles and ideals that are identified as basic to the creation of the new world order include:
- an aggressive attack on climate change
- a focus on equality of opportunity
- a focus on inclusiveness
- the development of a new ‘social contract with social justice
- a focus on sustainable development
- a focus on resilience
- fighting racism and discrimination
- promoting technologies of the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- the creation of high paying green jobs
Pepe Escobar sums it up as:
The beating heart of this matrix is – what else – the Strategic Intelligence Platform, encompassing, literally, everything: “sustainable development”, “global governance”, capital markets, climate change, biodiversity, human rights, gender parity, LGBTI, systemic racism, international trade and investment, the – wobbly – future of the travel and tourism industries, food, air pollution, digital identity, blockchain, 5G, robotics, artificial intelligence (AI).
The Path Forward
The Great Reset will be the theme of Davos 2021. Prior to this, there will be “The Great Reset Dialogues. These dialogues are a joint initiative of the World Economic Forum and HRH The Prince of Wales“. Note the lead role by the British royal family.
There are many powerful players in the globalization movement. These include oligarchs such as Jeff Bezos, foundations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, bankers such as the Rothschild family, global business corporations such as Microsoft, and key media. In short, the global wealth and global industry are behind TGR, as are the UN and major civil societies.
This is an economy that will be centrally planned and constructed. As such, its failure is built in. It will be totalitarian from the outset. Unfortunately, it will consume a generation of the worlds population and its wealth before it breaks apart into a new tribal, social order.
The response to the virus, the social unrest, the fear promoted by the MSM, have created such distraction that people are unaware of the transformation going on in their lives and society. It’s all noise that the Great Reset will fix since it controls it.
I believe TGR is too advanced, too extensive, too well organized and too well funded to be turned back. What I found researching this article was a lack of actionable strategies. They may exist in the various platforms but at this top level I couldn’t create a playbook.
I had argued more recently that we were in the bottom of the ninth inning to use a baseball metaphor. Now I fear the game may be over.
There are a lot of people on the internet either individually or in small organizations that are in various stages of awareness They have their individual ideas and forms of expression. They/we need to create our own Davos. A lot of egos need to be reined in to do this. We could have a single goal – educating others. The fallback would be to share survival strategies.
- A Platform for Impact. WEF.
- Davos Manifesto 1973: A Code of Ethics for Business Leaders. WEF.
- Davos Manifesto 2020: The Universal Purpose of a Company in the Fourth Industrial Revolution. WEF.
- The Great Reset. WEF.
- List of Business Partners. WEF.
- What are our key areas of focus? WEF.
- The Great Reset: A Unique Twin Summit to Begin 2021. WEF.
- Leadership and Governance. WEF.
- Pepe Escobar. From 9/11 to the Great Reset. Asia Times, September 10, 2020.
- Strategic Intelligence. WEF.